“”47 So the high priests and the Pharisees assembled the Council n and said, “What are we going to do? This man is performing many signs. 48 If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and the Romans will come and destroy both our Temple o and our nation.””— John’s Gospel chapter 11 ISV
This is the conversation which took place after Jesus had raised Lazarus from the dead. These were members of the Highest Court of Israel. They would be like our Supreme Court mixed in with the best Theologians in the land.
Yet all this wisdom and only a few of the leaders were believers of Jesus from Nazareth. Most of them were so empty spiritually, that they had missed out on the over 300 prophecies concerning their Messiah. So much so, that they were willing to keep their beautiful Temple which Herod had rebuilt, and hold on to it and their homeland no matter the consequences. They would have to get rid of the guy that was performing extraordinary miracles not seen since the days of Moses and Joshua.
- But before we get all ‘holy” on them, ask yourself this question.
- What thins or things are you holding on for dear life to?
You see, this is the same daily conversation that people all over the world have about Jesus the Carpenter from Nazareth.
- Do I want to follow Jesus?
- What of He wants me to leave all these things I have accumulated behind?
- What if I have to give up my party life?
- What if I have to stop cheating people out of money at work?
- What will people think about me if I become a Christian?
- How will I look to my family if I leave their religion?A
The questions you will be asking yourself are valid. But also ask yourself these:
- How am I able to handle that high stress job?
- Will the stress finally land me in the hospital?
- Will I be able to keep the house I could barely pay the monthly mortgage on?
- Do I really need the expensive cars and unnecessary extravagant lifestyle choices I have?
- Have all the material things and my long hours at work have me slowly drifting away from a relationship with God?
- Whatever it is, nothing and I mean nothing is better than having Jesus the Lord, Savior and Redeemer of this world come into your life.
If you choose to have a personal relationship with Christ, watch the everyday miracles that He will do for you in your life. Jesus loves you and asks that you trust Him to lead and guide you. And unlike those temporary luxury things, or high stress job you’re in, He will never leave you nor forsake you.
- Stop trying to kill Jesus off from your life for the sake of keeping your ‘temple and country’.
Instead of killing Him out of your life, ask Jesus to come into your life and bring you back from the dead. If you commit yourself to him, your life will never be lost again…